Sunday, September 21, 2008

STILL WITHOUT PHOTOSHOP...

I reallllly dislike posting photos I haven't worked on in Photoshop, but since the Adobe Creative Suite is down permanently on both computers, I have no choice!! I'm a little impatient too, knowing the disks are in the mail and should arrive... well who knows when.

After making numerous calls to Adobe I was finally given my old serial code so I can reinstall.. thank goodness! I hope it works, otherwise I will be paying £250 for another copy. This would be the education version for students. If I were to buy the full program it would cost over £1400!!!

So I have been trying to keep busy while waiting for activities to start.
I met up with two of my program mates, who are both extremely nice.

Yesterday I went to Camden with Emilia from school and she showed me around the market. The streets were packed, as was the market so most of my photos ended up being just of the crowds.


There were loads of stalls with food, yummy (and horrific sometimes) smells wafting in and out of our noses. Emilia explained that the food stall people usually shout out intriguing prices, trying to get you to come over, so you can haggle for cheap food!

There were some pretty interesting shops - lots of silkscreen wall art with close ups of various car parts. Tons of different types of people visit the market - no trannys here though.

These guys were enjoying their hooka pipe outside one of the pubs...

Now this was one of my favourites.
Emilia took me in here for quite the experience. I wasn't quite prepared.
It was a rave-attendees clothing store. So when you walk in, it's essentially like you're at a rave - ultra techno dance music pumping, black lights galore and of course all the clothing illuminated. I would describe the style of attire here as "raunchy space gear." Definitely a place you just have to see for yourself.
Okay, here's a bit of a Where's Waldo photo for you. If I had photoshop I would have drawn a giant circle around what you're supposed to take note of. Can you find the tall guy with some peculiar straggly nest atop his head?? I'm not sure if it's a chunk of carpet or a toupee, but it was very eye-catching.

I think this guy was quite pissed that I blinded him accidentally with my flash... whooops!
We returned to the big market building that houses stalls downstairs and shops upstairs. Lots of sari's, jewelry and home decor bits. I liked the ceramic patterned pig-piggy banks. I also discovered these gooey marble looking things you put in a vase and grow plants in. Unfortunately I didn't do much photographing on this excursion.

The entrance from outside .. to the right is where the big fire was in Feb(?).

Still working on repairing the site...

Next, at my request, we went to find this café/shop that I had read about called "My Village" which apparently had vegan cakes!! All about the sweets, I was very motivated to find it.
It was a really cute shop with a great menu, salads, soups and most of it vegan. The dude behind the counter gave us a sample of one of their juices - carrot, ginger, apple, mint and walnut. Astonishingly tasty! I found a vegan chocolate cake sprinkled with sliced almonds. It was scrumptious! I will be returning there again for sure, although Camden wasn't the most spectacular area. It was dirty and lots of strange people sort of ambling about the streets.

Emilia had a mission to find a store called "Cyber Candy" in Covent Garden, so we tubed it over there, jammed in the train like sardines.

Covent Garden.. we didn't realize it but there was part of the Design week happening here. We tried to get in, but it closed the exact minute we figured it all out.

A design display in Covent Garden

The entrance to the design exhibition.

Random bus in the center of things.

I guess we were in the place to be! The whole area was full of people.

Charlie Chaplin street performer... he wasn't very impressive.. no fancy tricks happening here.
Needless to say, we never found Cyber Candy, but it was fun!
It gets pretty chilly at night, so we headed home.


I went for a walk to grab a baguette, which they were out of, at Tesco and paused to take a pic of the elegant (and haunted) Coronet Theatre around the corner from my flat.

No comments: