Wednesday, September 10, 2008

DAY 6

Lots on the agenda today! First up, was making a visit to my school to drop off my student card stuff and try (again) to get my student oyster tube card. Apparently I could not apply for the oyster card until after enrolment (on the 30th) ughhh....

I was back in familiar territory - our hotel during Contiki had been just down the street from the school. A crappy shot of the side of the school:


Southampton Row, the street which houses CSM has lots of little stands and a pretty amazing vegan thai resto..mmmmm:

Then we went back up to Oxford Circus to find Liberty, the only department store which carries Stila makeup (which I had run out of). What a neat shop! In an old tutor style mansion.
I didn't get a great shot of the exterior, but I did manage to capture the old staircase inside:


Unlike Selfridges, this department store was spacious, with seemingly less items and the sales people weren't around every corner, hovering around you. I noticed some lovely notebooks for £30 - no thank you!

Now that I brought my vegan resto map with me and had my London A to Z mini (book of maps), we sought out Red Veg, as I was still craving a mushroom burger. It was easy to find this time - and quite delicious.

Then we had to go put up our dukes and fight for our deposit back from the old flat. Time to explore a new area - fancy pants Chelsea. Back on the tube, finally some outdoor tube stations, it was warm, so I appreciated the air. Note: the weather is totally unpredictable - the forecast hasn't been right once and it always squeezes in a little sprinkling at least once per day.

Chelsea didn't seem to have much in the way of shops and amenities. I knew the Saatchi Gallery was close - but this was a business visit. Along we walked to find "Paradise Walk" where the lettings office was located. We had to pass the Royal Hospital (which stretches on for a least a mile) and the National Army Museum.

Some houses in Chelsea:

I have seen this quite a lot in London - you think they would have a better system for reno material disposal....

The hospital chapel....


Making use of the Army Museums outdoor displays:

Unfortunately for me they were smart in locking this vehicles doors:

There is a lovely little lunching courtyard outside the Museum:

No comments: