Sunday, September 7, 2008

DAY 1

After a long, sleepless and restless leg filled plane ride, we arrived in London. I was pretty lethargic due to the mix up of meal orders on the plane - so I survived on about 5 veggies and a tiny container of hummus. I was still shocked they had charged us a whopping $650 to put my overweight suitcases on the plane. To my dismay I discovered my DSLR seemed to lose it's ability to focus on anything when I arrived. So until I could get it fixed, I would have to rely on my crappy point + shoot.

We had a giant list of things to accomplish on very little sleep. I attempted to open a bank account - which ended up working, despite having to wait hours. I was turned down for a mobile phone and internet because you need a bill with your address on it, I only had random bits of mail which, sadly they didn't accept. Luckily my computer found a wireless connection, so thank you #98.

Famished, by this point, our leasing agent, Edward recommended a pub called "the Churchill Arms" that serves great Thai food. It was pretty tasty and I'm quite certain I saw an actor from My Blueberry Nights (horrid film), who I don't know the name of, but I'll provide a link (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000657/).

So the flat is marvelous! A balcony and a terrace! My two favourite parts - an oven and washing machine! There are some pretty neat touches to this place - the hot water tank doubles as a drying rack and the futon miraculously becomes a double bed.

There are a few strange bits to living in London - a TV licence, which you must have if you have a TV, otherwise you better hid it in your closet!

During my mobile escapade, I was too eager to cross the street and was given a bath by a passing double decker. There were a couple of girls in hysterics behind me.


All was forgotten once I found my favourite British snack - Sweet Chili Kettle chips. Those became my dinner for the evening.


It was a loooong first night, trying to adapt to the new time zone. I ended up with some strange rash too.

My flat in photos: 1) The living room/bedroom/kitchen + balcony

The bedroom/kitchen with the cool futon that transforms into a double bed (and is incredibly comfy!).


The balcony off the multi area.

The sort of half-bedroom leading to the terrace.


The terrace. Which even has a couple empty pots for gardens!!
I am definitely feeling at home here in my new city. It was a very natural feeling coming back and roaming the streets. Can't wait for more adventures and visits. I certainly miss my family and friends, but no homesickness to report yet. Oh and they do have Canadian maple syrup!

No comments: