Sunday, September 7, 2008

DAY 2

First up, a vegan breakfast at a restaurant in Marylebone called Eat & Two Veg. We got lost several times, but eventually found it. I bought a "London A to Z" mini map immediately after.

We had enough energy for all the tasks to accomplish. It was flat shopping day! Pretty much all the basics were supplied - but things like hangers, mixing bowl and baking sheets were missing. Then of course the grocery shop. It was a lot to transport via the footbus. I also learned quite a bit about London weather - how unpredictable it was. I think in a period of 30 minutes, we experienced heavy rain, light showers, sun, great gusts of winds and the typical London overcast.

I was on the hunt for weird vegan products at each store. Nothing was recognizable of course, aside from the few items I had stumbled upon during my contiki tour - lots of edibles from France, Italy, Germany and Spain. Naturally, many products had funny British sayings on them like this one:

We found the farmers market (across the street, in a parking lot?!?!). It was quite small, but had everything you might need - fruit, cheeses, honey and jam, veggies, breads and baked goods. I bought some raspberry jam and loaded up on the fruit + veggies. Good thing I lived close by!

We met the building porter - Roger (or Roge) and a nice tenant named Guy (with french pronounciation) who warned us that Ladbroke Grove (about 15 mins North-West) has had a recent epidemic of knifings. Here I thought, the West end was safe?!?!

The rest of the afternoon was spent unpacking and making various runs to purchase missing items - blender, more hangers, etc.

No comments: