Saturday, September 27, 2008

BEAUTIFUL DAY FOR A WANDER..

I woke up and noticed it was a bit foggy outside, but deliciously sunny.
I thought it would be a fantastic day for more roaming in Hyde Park.

Last time I went further, past Kensington Palace Gardens, I forgot my camera. I've been using my crappy one just because it's MUCH lighter than my DSLR.

Here is a map of Hyde Park to orient you with the area:
In case you can't read it, that black blob I have drawn is roughly where I live.

So these photos are sort of continuing from where I left off after mum and I explored the park.

There are SO many paths to choose from, but you have to wary of bikers, rollerbladers and runners. It's very easy to get pulverized by them as they fly down these paths.


Looking back towards Kensington Palace and the Round Pond.

I assume this is the statue of Physical Energy... there are a number of statues around.

Towards the Longwater that becomes the Serpentine.
The Serpentine Gallery which houses modern and contemporary art. Admission is free you know!

The Gallery Pavillion, designed by Torontonian architect Frank Gehry. Wonder if Gramps knows him.. ??

The Albert memorial, conveniently across the street from the Royal Albert Hall.

The Royal Albert Hall. Opened in 1871 by Queen Victoria. It hosts more than 350 events per year including concerts, ballets, tennis matches, operas, community and school events, award ceremonies, charity performances and "lavish banquets."

More Hyde Park, heading back towards Kensington Palace on my way to Kensington High Street.

This stretch had some nice gardens along it. Must be favoured by the crazies - there were quite a few down this path.

I exited the park and made my way down Ken. High St to Luscious Organic, seemingly the only shop with Nutritional Yeast. I don't know what this strange display of poles was all about.
Luscious Organic has a multitude of owners, Boy George among them. Also a guy named Simon Brown who has written a Feng Shui for Wimps book. I hear Elle MacPherson shops here.
Anyway I found my nutritional yeast. For those of you not familiar with the weird vegan ingredients, we use this to make things "cheesy" like in a soup or sauce.
I had worked up quite a thirst by this point, so I opted for one of their "detox" juices.

I plopped myself down on some cement steps outside to polish this tasty beverage off. It was Cranberry, Sparkling Water, Pear and Ginger. When I got up I was pretty sure I had sat in a wet or dirty spot. I dusted by bum off for the next 5 minutes of my walk.

During my research trying to find interesting sights around Kensington/Notting Hill, I came across an article about all the Rock Legends who previously lived in the area. This particular house belonged to the late Freddie Mercury at one point.

Another one of my discoveries on my way home. Simple things amuse simple minds.

Back to shots of the walk home scenery.
Not sure why this house is special, but it has a big ceramic plate on it that reads "MD CCC VIX II" even google hadn't a clue.

The Windsor Castle Pub built in the 1800s. They claim you used to be able to see Windsor Castle from it's location on the brow of a hill on Campden Hill Rd.... hmmm that is a pretty far distance (Windsor Castle is out past Heathrow Airport).

The massive "Church of Science" across the street from my building. Curious place.

No comments: