Sunday, October 31, 2010

INK EXPERIMENTATION

To correspond with my paper trials, since you can't purchase vegetable inks easily, I wondered if I could make my own household versions. I read about using vinegar and witch hazel with berries and whatnot. Since red is possibly the easiest colour to create, I preferred the challenge of others. From the depths of my cupboard, I retrieved some Spirulina (algae that is a vitamin/mineral powerhouse!) and Turmeric.


All the components.


Powders


Mixing the turmeric with vinegar


Prepping for use

The ink was rather granulated, so I thought I should heat it up a bit... oops!


I set the Turmeric variety aside to test the Spirulina, this time mixing with witch hazel.

Then I tested out it's fluidity on some paper. It worked much better than the Turmeric.

Why not test out my friendly ink on a pumpkin, which ties into my next set of experiments.


No comments: