Sunday, October 31, 2010

HANDMADE PAPER ROUND 2.

Once I get an idea stuck in my head, it circulates until I can reach some sort of resolution. I revisited my paper experiment, this time with the knowledge that it should work with some fibrous material. In case it failed again, I wanted to use what I had available. I bought this formidable green twine for the Vegan Survival kit but it was never used. The notion of using food waste plagued me still, so I decided to employ my juicer and use the leftover pulp. This was the process.

1. Dicing the twine


2. Soak the twine to loosen the fibers.


3. They didn't loosen all that easily, so I had to do it by hand.


4. I let the twine soak some more while I made the fruit pulp.


5. I removed the delicious looking pulp.


6. I whisked the pulp in the sink with the twine fibers.


7. Then I put the silkscreening frame I was using in the sink and filled it with the gross mixture.


8. Then the moisture was pressed out of the mixture in the frame using layers as per the last experiment.


9. After leaving it to flatten/dry for a bit I flipped over the screen and pressed the mixture to release it from the screen.


10. It looked pretty sick, but hey it's Halloween! Then I left it to dry for a day or two.


11. Meanwhile I thoroughly enjoyed the juice.


12. Ta-da! The paper was done. A bit scary, but nevertheless paperlike.


12. It did kind of freak me out how close-up it somewhat resembled animal skin! Blergh!

No comments: