Tuesday, October 19, 2010

FOOD EXPERIMENTS

It was due time for some food experiments. I had attempted sourdough starter before, however I went away for a few days and upon my return discovered it to have become gnarly to the max.

The outcome was an giant improvement, but still needs some work. It tastes very floury, and it's very dense. But still pretty good.

Here's what the starter looked like. It rested above my wardrobe for 3 days, and stirred every 12 hours.

Then I mixed it with the flour, of which I only had a small sampling from random bags.

Let it sit in an oiled dish covered and placed above my wardrobe for safe-keeping. It rested there for 12 hours.

And I was surprised it actually rose! Though the bowl was a bit snug.
After kneading, dividing in 2, and another 6 hour wait, it was time to bake! I woke up early before heading to uni to throw it in the oven.
They didn't rise much in the oven, but they looked pretty good.
I will have to give it another run, try to enhance the flavour and make it less dense. Still I'm happy it wasn't a complete failure.

There was a first-ever apple pie attempt that went down. I threw together a strange oat/dried fruit/nut crust and tossed on some apples and peaches. It wasn't stellar, but it did the job. I shall try some lattice pastry next time.

No comments: