Saturday, January 31, 2009

What's in your sketchbook?

I have joined our program's sketchbook club and we had our first meeting last week. We were asked to bring in our sketchbooks as well as some work by our favourite designers. Prior to this course I had never bothered to keep an sb but thought I might get a head start on mine before the meeting. This is something I have been working on on top of the Hugo Boss competition and Pick + Mix project mentioned in the previous post.

The meeting was fantastic. I thought there was a definitive line between good and bad drawers but the meeting absolutely changed my point of view. Art is completely subjective. Not everyone will appreciate your work, but that doesn't mean it stinks. It also changed my perception on what a sketchbook is. I always considered it was just a bunch of pencil/charcoal drawn images. Our tutor, Rachel really encouraged us to let go and get personal in our sketchbook.

Rachel also mentioned trying to organize some industry members to come in and speak to us as well as some field trips and nights out. She talked about giving us a brief for an album design and having the gallery show in a record shop. I'm quite excited!

Anyway, my mum wanted to see what I've been working manically on, so I decided to post some pages from my sketchbook. I was inspired by this book that Emilia brought back from Finland containing excerpts out of students sb's at an art college in Helsinki.



No comments: