Tuesday, October 7, 2008

CLASSES COMMENCE

Sorry again for the lack of posts. The pace has picked up plus I had the flu.
Unfortunately I don't have any photos to accompany any of my school stories, but I will do my best to describe what's been happening!

My induction at Central Saint Martins was warm and welcoming. Very different from my experience in Canada. For once, the opening lecture did not begin with... "This is a very tough industry and many of you will not make it."

Our first year course leaders have been hosting intro sessions to the school and our program every day this week.
They are both very kind and positive people and quite proactive in our academic lives. It seems like each year becomes a really close-knit group, planning fun activities like camping and picnics, which the course leaders encourage and do their best not to schedule class so we can participate (and they partake as well)!
There appear to be a lot of fun parties and social gatherings tied into the curriculum. AND, always a bonus, free booze during most of them! Don't worry parentals, these are all held at the Uni and will be supervised by responsible adults. I think they incorporated these activities because I hear the students spend more time there than home. I hope they have showers!

As you can imagine, I'm pretty psyched about the program!!!!! They really made us feel special, like we all must possess some sort of superpower in order to be admitted into the school. We've been shown a lot of previous student work and past collaborations with companies like Hugo Boss, Louis Vuitton and the co. that produces sunglasses for Dior and Gucci.
Also there is a big prestigous awards night (DNA(D?) that we do quite well at each year. How exciting!

There are about 180 of us jammed into a lecture room that holds about 160 in these long row bench things. Although the stragglers end up having to squat. I've met people from Italy, Portugal, California, South Korea and of course the UK so far. Compared to Canada, the students here are MUCH friendlier. Next week we will be broken into 8 groups and proceed with regular classes. On Friday we go on a field trip to the Transport Museum (wooo! thrilling!).

Prior to school, we were given a summer project to complete (which some students didn't .. tsk tsk!) and we have to show it on Thursday. For some visuals, I will post a jpeg of mine. The brief was: to record your journey from home to the tube station nearest the school using photographs, illustrations, video, any media.

Unfortunately while my course leader (Cath) was listing off ideas, she named mine! How very unoriginal of me!

It is a lot bigger in reality, but this blog only lets me post teeny tiny photos. I appreciate any feedback!

No comments: