Saturday, July 9, 2011

THE DIVINE DEATH CAB (but not so courteous fans)

I fulfilled my teenage dream this past Thursday and finally saw Death Cab for Cutie at Brixton Academy here in London. I have raved to anybody who will listen about the new album Codes and Keys, but was pleased as punch that they played some old favourites, ahem Transatlanticism, fantastic closer. Those boys still have marvelous stage energy, though banter was quite minimal. The sound was a bit sketchy in the beginning and it was difficult to hear Ben Gibbard. He has a pretty soft voice. To my delight the opening band (The Head and The Heart) were quite good. They had a bit of a struggle with feedback during the performance, but they kept hammering on, grinning.

I was pretty astonished to find a sound lady, which must be rare! I couldn't help but deem her awesome.

It was a superb show. I left there with a moderate twinkling but not awe-struck (though I have had 'I Will Possess Your Heart' in my head ever since). Although this may have been more to do with the insolent audience. Perhaps with age and accumulating gig experience, my sensitivity to the environment has increased immeasurably. Regardless, there are a few things you just don't do. Emilia and I discussed writing GIG COMMANDMENTS because any sense of etiquette in this setting simply does not exist.

We had several groups of people plow through us. First two rather large screaming girls who kept thrusting their arms in peoples faces whilst making heart shapes out of their hands. Lame, and disrespectful to the bands. Next, big beefy dudes trampled on our feet and tossed us like weeds as they bouldered their way to the front. Not cool friends. Midway through the DCFC set a man elbowed me out of the way and shoved his girlfriend with a red wooly hat in front of me. I could no longer be passive and asked her firmly (but politely) to move. I think she was caught off guard and retreated to the other side of her boyfriend, who also seemed stunned. I believe most audience members accept these actions as the nature of the beast and aren't brazen enough to speak up.

I did manage to take a few snaps on the Ricoh. I have a few videos posted below as well!
Looking forward to My Morning Jacket on the 17th!





VIDEOS




No comments: