Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Well 2012, it's been real.

Now that 2012 has (FINALLY) ended, I thought I would include a little send off to last year. What a rollercoaster ride it has been. Some major life changes occurred. Here are the highlights:

1. I left London (mega sad face) and moved across the ocean
2. Bonnaroo adventure with Emilia and Mikee
3. Internship at St. Joseph Media
4. Acquired a man friend
5. My mum got single
6. Wattpad project with Emilia
7. Moved to the city

I've also been a little slack on posting music that's inspired or moved me in some way. So, perhaps I'll do a quick sum up of what I spent 2012 listening to.

1. Tallest Man on Earth - There's No Leaving Now
This song is so beautiful it makes me want to cry.


2. Joel Plaskett - Run Run Run


3. Robyn - Get Myself Together
This is vastly different from the usual music I post, but it was recommended to me by a good friend (who also happens to be a big metal fan), and I found it to be a good reminder to do exactly as the title suggests, ha!


4. Menomena - Plumage
The latest album (Moms) from Menomena definitely isn't my favourite. I am, however, addicted to this particular track.

5. Social D - Angel's Wings
I can never get enough of Social D. I don't know why I fixated on this song in particular, but it's great.

6. Cold War Kids - Hospital Beds
I saw a video of Florence Welch singing this song, but the original is much better.

7. Modest Mouse - Dashboard
I seemed to have missed out on Modest Mouse during the fuss, and never realized they did put out a few stupendous songs.

8. MUTEMATH - Prytania
Mutemath can do no wrong.
 

9. STARS - Hold On When You Get Love and Let Go When You Give
The latest album from Stars (North), is overall not so fabulous. There are about 4 catchy songs, this is one of them.

10. Minus the Bear - Lies and Eyes
Infinity Overhead is easily one of my favourite albums that came out this year. It's very rare I find an album I can listen to in it's entirety. I am only posting this live version because the sound isn't terrible.. I mean it's not great, but...
 

11. Hot Water Music - Drag My Body
Thank you man friend for the introduction to HWM. I'm a convert. Exister is one of the best releases from 2012.

12. Two Door Cinema Club - Beacon / Wake Up
I'll post two for this one, the first one is quite different from the usual pop-i-ness of TDCC. 1

3. M Ward - Watch the Show
One of the most incredible guitarists I've seen live.
 

14. Mystery Jets - Someone Purer


15. Delta Spirit - Money Saves / Empty House
This album is so much fun. A lot more mainstream than prior releases, but fun to dance to. One of my favourite performances at Bonnaroo. So much energy.

Because the above video is live and the sound is not so great, I will post a second. I ask you, where was I during this???

16. Local Natives - Shape Shifter
Thanks to my music buddy Emilia for sharing this one with me.

17. Grouplove - Tonguetied
This song is too much fun. It also happens to be laden with memories of the drive to Bonnaroo. Sigh.

18. The Horrors - Still Life
Another sound gift from Emilia.


19. The Joy Formidable - A Heavy Abacus
Despite having no interest/knowledge about The Joy Formidable, they managed to blow my mind at Bonnaroo. Incredible stage presence, and lots of broken instruments.

20. The Maccabees - Forever I've Known


21. White Lies - Farewell To The Fairgrounds I can't believe I've never posted this song. Ever since being introduced the White Lies, they've been an instrumental aspect of my playlists. This song is so damn catchy! Keep on running, K-K-Keep on running...

22. Lisa Hannigan - Knots
How I love Lisa Hannigan.


23. Feist - A Commotion
It's really hard to find a decent live Feist video. It's a shame because Leslie Feist is absolutely brilliant live. Easily the best performance at Bonnaroo. Apologies for the bad sound quality again, but her voice defies all sound obstructions.
 

24. Chapel Club - O Maybe I
I must like this song enough to ignore the parade of turtle necks in this video.

25. Stevie Nicks - Wild Heart
This album version of this song doesn't come close to how awesome this is.

26. Frank Turner - Redemption
Frank Turner performed at the Olympics! Sadly the only decent live version I can find.

27. Patrick Wolf - Time Of My Life


28. My Morning Jacket - Circuital
It wouldn't be a list without My Morning Jacket. To be honest, I can't recall if this was this year or last. I did listen to a heck of a lot of MMJ, particularly as we stopped in his hometown of Louisville, KY enroute to Tennessee.
 

29. Propagandhi - Note to Self
I went to see Propagandhi with my man friend this year. I was never really into them that much, but I enjoyed the gig despite not feeling so great.




No comments: