Monday, October 8, 2012

SISU

So, Emilia Buggins and I have been discussing starting a collective for quite some time. Emilia has taken the reigns on the idea and has gotten the ball rolling. We were given the deadline of Oct. 5th to propose some ideas for the logo, etc. The name has been chosen already "SISU," a Finnish word that according to Wikipedia has been "loosely translated into English as strength of will, determination, perseverance, and acting rationally in the face of adversity." The members of the collective are spread across the EU, UK and Canada, as well as across different disciplines. This is a rather unique aspect of our group.

I spent some time mulling over that definition and intersecting it with the circumstances surrounding our members. These are my notes:

(layout of projects, font choice, carefully chosen use of colour, not the logo/header, 

LOGO CONCEPT 1: Compass; where different coordinates/directions meet. Measured/calculated navigation.

Compass definition: 2. "to contrive to accomplish."
Contrive definition: "create or bring about by deliberate use of skills + artifice."

My exploration led me to researching compasses after discovering some parallels. 

I liked the aesthetics of the compasses below, particularly the second one. 



I began doing some experiments in illustrator (below). None of these are very fetching. I feel I should have followed the style of the second image (above), for a more graphic/iconic approach. Reflecting, I'm not certain the compass was a very suitable concept. So we shall see what others have come up with. 





No comments: