Wednesday, October 23, 2013

THE PRECARIOUSNESS OF OUTCOME

My boss, Christina, recently announced that she was leaving the company. It was very sad news, as we all absolutely loved her. Since we are a team of creatives, and we were all really close to our boss, I thought we should make her a super special gift. Christina also happened to be an incredible library of analogies. The idea came easily. I proposed making a screen printed analogy poster to the team, and the decision was made. I am always looking for an excuse to do some screen printing! 

We came together to compile a list of some of our favourite Christina analogies. Vivien (the other designer) and I worked together to create the poster — selecting the gradient colours, paper, font and typographic arrangement. I went to purchase a larger screen, so I could comfortably make an 11x17" (or larger) print. I had a clear idea of what I wanted and Vivien is an illustrator wiz. We experimented with the colour order in illustrator to get an idea of which sequence would look best for printing. I knew with my small squeegee on a big screen, it would be a wilder outcome than the on-screen rendition. This must be why I also have a penchant for film photography – the unpredictability of outcome. 

The next day we took the screen in to be exposed, ready for printing the following day.  

There was a very small window of time to complete our secret project, but we did it! We really came together as a team to make it happen. Although now I notice there are some kerning errors, which were overlooked as we rushed to get everything done. 

I'm very happy with the outcome (despite the kerning mistakes) and I think she liked her gift very much (hard to tell as she was laughing like crazy upon unwrapping it). Having our own print will be a great way to keep Christina's legacy alive in the office. We really miss her. 

I apologize for not photographing the final piece in the frame, but I have some photos of a few posters (they weren't all winners though). It's certainly not easy printing on your kitchen table. Still fun!   

I look forward to doing more printing and using up the 'slop bucket' of left over colours. 

Photos of the process below:




Funny how the first print is always the clear winner (below)










No comments: