Friday, November 13, 2009

Grid Brief

I was excited to discover a brief related to music. We were issued briefs based around creating grids and the one I chose was called "R-kive your tunes."

It entailed taking your music collection and organizing them creatively into a grid.
My initial concept was bad, it essentially didn't have a grid.
After the interim crit, I knew I had to pull my game up.

I took Emilia's advice to just make a grid and figure it out from there.
I ended up with what resembled guitar tab and that's what I decided to make.
I categorized my grid by trips I went on and what I listened to on the journey - dating from 1987 until this year.

Then I split the list of artists into 6 (six strings on a guitar) and made 17 columns (frets) because anything higher up on the guitar is very difficult to play and I didn't want "songs" that sounded like scales.

I used my new Olympus DSLR (620) for the photos!
They still need work, but here is what the music ended up looking like:



This is the legend, aka the fretboard:

No comments: